- Gram flour (Besan) 3 tbsps.
- Oil 2 tbsps
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Water 4-5 glasses
- Tamarid pulp 2 tsp
- Arhar Dal (Red gram dal) 3/4 cup
- Okra (Make a slit in okra lengthwise) 1/2 lb (250 gms)
- Potatoes (Cut each potato in 4 pieces) 3 medium
- Eggplant(Brinjal) (Make 2″ pieces of eggplant) 1 small
- Cauliflower (Keep the florets of cauliflower intact) 250 gms
- Peas 1/2 cup
- Lotus roots cut in small pieces
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering
- Oil 2 tbsps
- Mustard Seeds 1tsp
- Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Red chilli powder 1tsp
- Methi Dana (optional) 1tsp
- Kalunji 1tsp
- Karhi patta 6-7 leaves
- Green chillies slit lengthwise
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves
Heat 2 tbsps oil. Add Gram flour (besan). Fry it for 10-15 mts (it should be few shades darker & smell fragrant). Add turmeric powder, 4 glasses of water and salt to taste. Keep stirring till it comes to boil. In the mean time boil arhar dal and whisk it properly. Add this to karhi. Fry okra, potatoes, cauliflower and eggplant. Add all fried and other vegetables in Karhi. Let it boil until all the vegetables are done. Add Tamarid Pulp.
Heat 2 tbsps oil in a pan. When hot add asafoetida powder (hing), Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Methi dana, Onion seeds(kalaunji), red Chilli powder & Karhi patta. When the seeds start spluttering pour it in karhi.
Garnish it finely chopped cilantro leaves.
Serve it hot with steamed rice.